Past & Present

We would welcome any old photos of Tunstead and Sco-Ruston.  If you have any pictures or other images of the area and people, Past and Present, that you would be willing to share with other members of the community please get in touch.

All images will be returned in the same condition as received – or better – as these can be digitally restored and copies made on photographic paper.

Click on the smaller (thumbnail) images to display a larger version.
Clicking on the larger version will display a full sized image.

 

<< St Marys Through the Ages  |  Tunstead Remembers >>


Tunstead School, 1898

Tunstead School Class from 1898

Tunstead School – Class of 1898
For more information see details below

This photo, dating from 1898, is not of one class but in family groups. Photographs were arranged like this so parents didn’t have to buy several photos. for all their children. About four photos. were taken to cover the whole school.
The trees in the background were on the Sco-Ruston roadside.
The sticks and rings were used by the pupils in drill lessons.

Front row: Walter BACON, Elsie BACON, Elsie SELF, Joe GROVER, Theresa APPLETON
2nd row: Jimmy JECKELS, Virtue SELF, Flo. MEDLAR, Lily MEDLAR,, Nellie SHEPHERD, May BACON, Jane SELF
3rd row: May SELF, Edith JECKELS, Hiram GROVER, Alfred JECKELS, Sidney GROVER
Back row: Fanny APPLETON, Edith MEDLAR, Flo YOUNGMAN, Jack YOUNGMAN, Polly SHEPHERD, George SHEPHERD, Lily GROVER

Miss Embley(?) eventually became Mrs. Bambridge and is buried at Tunstead.

Jane SELF pictured above was dead within 2 months of this photo. being taken, having contracted measles and spending time out in the cold weather. people did not have the modern central heating systems we do now.

The two Shepherd boys were killed in the First World War and the Grover boys became sailor, also to die in the First World War from drowning.

With special thanks to Miss Iris Marshall of Witton Bridge, North Walsham for the information and picture desposited with the Norfolk Library Service.


Tunstead War Memorial

Tunstead War Memorial, circa 1920

Tunstead War Memorial, circa 1920


This photo of Tunstead’s War memorial dates from around 1920. It reads:

“To the Glory of God and ever grateful remembrance of the men of Tunstead who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 – 1918

Their name liveth forever more.”

The names of people listed on the War Memorial are:
Harry H. BECK Herbert DACK
Francis J. BURTON Wallace R. DRURY
Frederick W. BURTON Percival S. GIBBS
Gilbert J. BURTON John GOODSON
Reginald BURTON Ronald LUBBOCK
Stephen CANHAM Marshall A. MOORE
Stephen CHILDERHOUSE Walter R. PESTELL
Arthur DACK Herbert C. WESTGATE

With thanks to Norfolk Library & Information Service,
‘The Forum’, Norwich for the above images.