The following jobs can be carried out in the garden during December and January
- Sow (under cover): Broad Beans, Leeks, Onions, Parsley, Peas , Salad Leaves and spinach
2. Organise your seeds for the coming year – if you arrange them in order of sowing you will avoid forgetting to sow them and missing the correct time slot.
3. Place seed potatoes in seed trays with their eyes facing up and place in a light but frost free place to allow them to produce chits (shoots)
4. Divide clumps of rhubarb every three or four years, discarding the old inner parts and replanting the younger outer parts – ensure that each section has at least one healthy bud.
- Bare rooted fruit trees and bushes
- Apply a winter wash (available from garden centres) to apple and pear trees to help control pests
- If your soil tends to lie wet over the winter it is a good idea to lift and store carrots
- Plan your planting for next year