Casual Vacancies

Tunstead Parish Council currently has 2 vacancies for Councillors and we will shortly have another 2 when long-standing members end their time with us.

To stand for election/co-option on a parish council, you must:

• be a UK or Commonwealth citizen
• or be a citizen of another Member state of the European Union
• and be at least 18 years old

and to be eligible to stand for an election for a particular parish, you must meet one of the 4 criteria:

1. You are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the parish/community in which you wish to
stand from the day of your nomination onwards.
2. You have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish/community area during the whole of the 12
months before the day of your nomination and the day of election/co-option.
3. Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been
in the parish/community area.
4. You have lived in the parish/community area or within three miles of it during the whole of the 12 months before the day of
your nomination and the day of election.
If you do become a parish councillor you will have to sign up to the Parish Council’s Code of Conduct.

You must also not be disqualified from standing, including but not limited to, the following disqualification reasons:
• You are employed by the parish/community council or hold a paid office under the parish/community council (including
joint boards or committees).
• You are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order.
• You have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence), without
the option of a fine, during the five years before polling day.

Please be aware that you will be required to disclose Interests and that this will be published by North Norfolk District Council and open to public scrutiny.

The best way to find out what it’s like being a Councillor is to talk to an existing one!  But don’t take our word for it, have a look at the Electoral Commission’s Guide below.

The following forms will need completion:

Electoral Commission Guide
This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.